Saturday, January 12, 2013

Ever heard of Carb Cycling?

Yesterday, I gave me self a serious headache because I failed to eat after a serious session of body building at the gym. As a result, I ended up noxious and tired all curled up on my couch at night. 

Lesson learnt: If you are not going to eat right, do not go to the gym...

What happened, after my lovely Dr. of a husband explained it to me, is that my body was deprived for carbs and protein after lifting weights at the gym, skipping that meal sent my body into a catabolic state, only because there was not food for my body to break down, it ended up breaking down my own muscles. This in turn released urea and ammonia into my blood stream, which as you may know, is highly toxic. End result: a massive painful headache. 

My husband basically suggested I eat more carbs, and though it didn't make sense to me at first, I willingly complied because I know he always knows what he is talking about. Of course, as always, he did :)

Soon enough I was feeling a lot better.

He then suggested I look into Carb Cycling to better understand how carbs should fit into my workout routine. Here are my findings:


Carb Cycling is mostly used by body builders, but the system is so simple, that anyone can apply it! 


This is basically a carb diet in the form of a cycle, where, in the first day (preferably, the day you have a heavy work out) you have a high dose of carbs. On the second day, you have a low(er) intake of carbs (you could have a normal workout day here), and on the third, you don't any (or very little) carbs (on your day of rest). This cycle starts again on the 4th day. So one and so forth.


Basically, your carb eating will be directly proportionate to the intensity of your workout. The harder the workout, the more carbs you need (half in the morning, the other after your session).


Now, and so as not to over do it, just how much carbs does one person need per 'normal' day, and how much more on a 'workout' day?


First of all, you need to know what amount of calories you 'normally' burn, ie even if no activity is performed. the method calculation below is taken from http://www.t-nation.com



First Step: Calculating Your Basal Metabolic Rate
Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) simply means the amount of energy used by your body during a 24-hour period if no activity is performed. In other words, if you're inactive for 24-hours straight, you'd still "burn" the amount of calories equivalent to your BMR.
Your BMR is a function of your size, sex, and age. It's also influenced by your metabolic status (hypo or hyperthyroid state for example). We can calculate BMR with the following formulas (by Harris-Benedict):
For Men
For Women

No comments:

Post a Comment